Monday, January 2, 2012

Being realistic, but not photorealistic

As artists we tend to be our own worst critics, as I'm sure we are all fully aware. In sharing this new adventure on Facebook, one of my former students commented how inspiring I am and how she wishes she could do the same.

We put such great pressure on ourselves to be perfect,or be the next great thing, or to infuse our work with great meaning and messages that will change the world! While these pursuits are worthy, they aren't necessarily achievable (at least not on a daily basis). Striving for such lofty goals leaves artists frustrated and often so fearful that they are unable to even being creating.

So, I offer full disclosure. Here is my panel divided into 4. The bottom left was my first attempt. Then the top left and finally the top right. Sometimes it takes me sometime to stop drawing and start painting with the brush. The last one, it was getting late and after entertaining a 3 year old all day, I wasn't feeling it, so I wiped it because it was crap. I'll start there tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment